Ways to Support our Programs:
Oak and Orca Bioregional School is always looking for support from the greater community. Our programs are run on the lowest buget possible so that we can benefit a diversity of people. We are determined not to become an elitist organization, and wish to be able to accept children from all backgrounds into our programs regardless of family income. There are several ways you can support our organization and programs.
1. Make a monetary donation to the Bioregional Education Association. Your donation will be a charitable donation and we will provide you with a receipt for income tax purposes. You are also free to earmark your donation to a certain program, and can sign up to receive information about how your donation has been used and how it has benefitted the children and/or the local environment.
2. Give an in-kind donation. A donation of items that can be used by the school or that could be auctioned off to the highest bidder are very much of benefit. We currently need student books, biregional or environmental books/magazines, educational equipment, fruit trees, a microscope, a laser printer, a CD player/stereo system, and a photocopier, among other things. For items donated that have a determinable value we will provide a charitable tax receipt.
3. Volunteer. The children and teachers at Oak and Orca enjoy having helpers in the classroom. If you would enjoy working with children and don't mind a criminal record check, this could be an opportunity for you to share your skills and perhaps learn about bioregional education and how an open learning environment works.
Some of the programs you can support with a donation of money, a gift in-kind, or as a volunteer are:
- the operational costs and work of running the Oak and Orca school
- scholarships for low-income families to attend the school or summer programs
- bioregional summer programming for children from any school in the Victoria area
- the wages of teachers with a bioregional life-style (currently wages are very low)
- public access to a bioregional library, educational resources and an international development library (from VIDEA)
- pesticide-free native and edible gardens
We thank you for considering supporting this worthy cause. If you wish to donate you can contact us by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, by phone (250) 383-6609 (in Victoria); 1-888-383-6619 (throughout BC) or by post, Oak and Orca Bioregional School, 2738 Higgins Street, Victoria, B.C., V8T 3N1. Cheques can be made payable to the Bioregional Education Association or the Oak and Orca School. Please make it clear where we should send your Canadian charitable tax receipt.